Born on June 15, 1919, in Odessa (Ukraine).
Received art education at the Odessa State Art College (1935–1939, 1948–1951) and at the Lviv Institute of Decorative and Applied Art (1947–1948).
From 1940 to 1946 he served in the Red Army, was wounded in the battles of World War II. From 1948 to 1951 he worked in the «Odessa Society of Artists». From 1955 to 1990 was a Senior Fellow and Head of the exposure of the Odessa Museum of Western and Oriental Art. Created the club «Color, music, word» named after Churlionis under the Odessa Museum of Western and Oriental Art. In the 60s Sokolov’s apartment was also his creative workshop and an original club, a place of communication between the artist, student youth and the creative intellectuals of the city.
Artworks by Oleg Sokolov are kept in collections of Odessa Museum of Western and Oriental Art, Museum of Odessa Modern Art, Odessa Fine Art Museum, in museum and private collections in Ukraine and abroad. Permanent displays of Sokolov were opened in 2010 in the Museum of Odessa Modern Art.
Solo exhibitions –1990, 2009, 2010, Odessa.
Selected group exhibitions – «Music of the World», 2012, Odessa.